Applying to the History Graduate Program
Thank you for your interest in the History PhD program at UC Davis! Below is information regarding the application process as well as important deadline information. If you have any questions regarding the PhD program or applying please contact the Graduate Assistant or Graduate Student Representatives.
Before you apply to any doctoral program, it is always a good idea to make yourself familiar with the faculty who work on the kinds of things you'd like to work on. Faculty in the UC Davis History department have webpages where you can find their current research, publications, and general interests. You should feel free to email faculty with whom you might work to ask about their approach to graduate education or the topics on which they advise doctoral candidates.
If you have questions about the structure or formal requirements of the graduate program, you might find them answered in the Graduate Program Handbook. You might also ask such questions of the faculty member you represent your field of interest on the Graduate Program Committee.
Prospective graduate students can also get excellent information on the doctoral program from current graduate students.
Formal application for graduate study in history at UC Davis can be made online via the following website: http://www.gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/prospective/applicationlanding.html.
In addition to the online application the following is required for successful application to the History Program:
- Application Fee: The application fee is $80 for the domestic application and $100 for the international. The fee may be paid by credit card or e-check. The fee must be paid before the application will be considered as complete, and the fee must be paid for each application submitted.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three (3) letters must be submitted electronically through the online application. Please do NOT submit a hard copy. Submit all recommendations through the online program.
- Transcripts: Please submit transcripts directly to the department Attn: Ross Eikenbary 2216 SS & H Bldg, One Shields Ave Davis, CA 95616 -- Please wait to send transcripts until after the application is complete and submitted online. This makes it easier to match the application to the transcripts.
- GRE Scores: Please submit General Test GRE scores electronically through ETS. The University code is: 4834. The History Dept (other) code is 2799.
- Writing Sample: Writing samples should be submitted online and should be roughly 10-30 pages. Please do NOT send a hard copy to the department.
- Internal Fellowship Application: This is required of all applicants as it allows the department to nominate potential graduate students for university and department fellowships. This is available through the online application.
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal History Statement